Note: Scholarship applications are now closed.
ALDACON 2021: SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt. Should you not receive a confirmation within three days, please contact the ALDAcon Scholarship Chair, Karen, at firstname.lastname@example.org for follow up to ensure all applications are received and properly filed.
There are four major requirements to be eligible for ALDAcon scholarship assistance.
- Every applicant must be a current member of ALDA’s national organization, ALDA Inc. If you are not a member, you may join using the ALDA website at https://alda.org/membership/ If you encounter any problems with online membership, please contact the Scholarship Chair as noted above via e-mail for assistance. No application will be accepted as complete until membership has been confirmed. If you are already a member at the time of your application, please ensure that your membership extends to the actual date of ALDAcon. No award will be honored unless you are a member both at the time of the application and the last day of the ALDAcon as noted above.
- ALDA members may receive a maximum of two scholarships in their lifetime (not in the same year) to attend ALDAcon, the second being for registration only, and only if allotted funds are available. Members who have already received two scholarships to attend ALDAcon are ineligible for additional scholarships.
- Please note that awards are only made to those who are deaf or hard of hearing and plan to attend the full five days of ALDAcon. They are also required to attend all “Newcomer” events if they are newcomers to ALDAcon. Information on those events will be sent to successful applicants prior to the convention.
- All applicants MUST be in genuine need of financial assistance. The scholarship program is specifically designed to assist those who without help would not be able to attend the convention. ALDA’s scholarship funds are limited, and to meet our goal of helping as many as we can to attend the convention, we must stretch our funds as far as possible. We ask that you think carefully as you list your financial needs on the application and list only what you absolutely need in order to attend. Also, please note that ALDA, Inc. scholarships apply only to the registration fee and the cost of the hotel accommodations. Travel expenses and extra costs of any entertainment are not covered by the scholarship.
Registration includes workshops, exhibits, entertainment, speakers, and the following events: Wednesday Reception, Thursday Lunch, Friday Lunch and Banquet, Saturday Karaoke Party, and Sunday Farewell Breakfast.
► The firm deadline, without exception, for submitting a scholarship application is June 30th of each calendar year.
Scholarship awards will be made no later than the second week in July. Applicants should be sure that they check their e-mail frequently during this time.
*Your acceptance or declination of the scholarship offer must be made within forty-eight (48) hours of being notified of the award; otherwise, we will consider the offer as declined.
In addition, please note that all ALDAcon scholarship recipients are encouraged to provide some form of special support to ALDA in return for their scholarship assistance. That special support might take any of the following forms:
- Writing an article for the ALDA News describing their ALDAcon experience,
- Working a few hours at the ALDAcon registration desk or at the ALDA booth in the Exhibit Hall,
- Speaking about their ALDAcon experience at the Farewell Brunch of ALDAcon,
- Writing special invitations to friends with hearing loss encouraging them to attend ALDAcon,
- Giving an ALDA Gift Membership to one of their friends with a hearing loss,
- Donating an item to the Silent Auction of ALDAcon , or
- Volunteering to serve on some ALDA committee during the year following their scholarship.