by David Baldridge, Regional Director 4, with ALDA San Jose lead Celeste Cademartori
Region 4 continues to grow in terms of membership with roughly 75 ALDA national members calling Region 4 their home. This region includes Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Yukon Territories, Pacific Islands, Asia, Australia, New Zealand. We currently have roughly 25 ALDA national members in California, 15 in Washington, 10 in Arizona, 5 members each in the states of Colorado, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon and Utah/Idaho. Similar to other regions, Region 4 members’ biggest hearing/communication related challenges include: finding/maintaining employment and communicating with people at work; being able to participate in educational opportunities; stress and frustration; and communicating with family, friends and loved ones.
Region 4 currently includes three local groups and local members in Albuquerque, New Mexico (ALDA ABQ), Boulder Colorado (ALDA Boulder) and San Jose California (ALDA SJ). For more information about these local ALDA groups please contact me (RD4@ALDA.org) or the local leaders:
- ALDA San Jose, CA; led by Celeste Cademartori, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALDA Boulder CO; led by Rebecca (Reba) Herr, email@example.com
- ALDA ALDA-ABQ, NM; led by Carol Sliney, firstname.lastname@example.org
There is also strong interest in new ALDA groups in Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles and elsewhere. If you are interested in helping form a new local ALDA group (or just want to participate) in those, and other areas, please let me know (RD4@ALDA.org).
Region 4 Group Spotlight: ALDA San Jose
- Due to COVID, 2021 started off with a series of online monthly presentations organized by Carrie Levin.
- The first in-person gathering after a COVID pause was in May 2021 at the San Jose Rose Garden. This Walk4Hearing event raised over $800. Vaxxed and masked walkers and diners gathered afterwards for an outdoor lunch at a nearby restaurant for a lovely reuniting event!
- In July 2021, Vaxxed and masked ALDA SJ members met in person at the home of long-time ALDA member Judie for an outdoor potluck picnic. It was SO nice to see everyone after over a year of Zoom only events.
- In October 2021, most of the ALDA national members from ALDA SJ met up at the ALDAcon in Niagara Falls, NY.
- In late October, Judie opened up her home again for a Halloween potluck. Attendees had a good time chatting about ALDAcon 2021, announced the ALDAcon 2022 in San Diego, and Celeste Cademartori took over as ALDA SJ group lead.
- 2021 ended with the annual ALDA SJ Holiday gathering, again at Judie’s house, with a white elephant gift exchange. It was a very nice time for all attendees.
- 2022 events are still in the planning stage but ALDA SJ is currently discussing online presentations, outside gatherings, and helping support new local groups in Southern California (e.g., San Diego, Los Angeles).