Bylaws Requirements for Positions
Nominees must be an ALDA member in good standing by September 16, 2020 for their name to appear on the ballot. No Exceptions!
President: Serves for 2 years (Plus 2 years as Past President) – The President shall serve as the chief executive officer of the Association of Late-Deafened Adults (ALDA), Chair of the Board of Directors, and Chair of the Board’s Executive Committee. The President shall preside at all meetings of the general membership, exercise overall supervision of the affairs of ALDA, ensure the enforcement of ALDA’s Bylaws and the policies of the Association, and carry out all orders and resolutions of the Board of Directors. In addition, the President shall appoint the chairs of all Board-established committees and shall either appoint the committees’ members or delegate the selection of committee members to that committee chair, shall act as liaison to any and all organizations as required by the Board; and shall make an annual report to the membership on behalf of the Board. The President may sign, with the Secretary, any deeds, mortgages, contracts, or other instruments which the Board has authorized to be executed, and shall perform all duties incident to the office of President.
Vice President: Serves for 2 years. The Vice President shall assist the President in the discharge of all functions of that office, and in the performance of duties as delegated by the President. In the event of the President’s extended absence or disability, the Vice President shall perform the duties of that office.
Regional Directors: Serve for 2 years. Regional Directors are responsible for communications addressed to the association by individuals residing within their region who are seeking information and local resources. They provide support and information to groups, chapters, individuals, families, and professionals within the region; establish linkages and networks; and represent regional interests and concerns at Board meetings.
All Board members must be willing to participate actively in the business of the Board. The board currently meets online for two hours on a designated night each month. ALDA travel policy now reimburses Board members for travel to Board meetings and ½ room cost for two nights. Board members are expected to pay their own registration to ALDAcon as well as hotel costs for additional nights stayed.
ALDA Policy: Election Campaigning
It is the policy of ALDA that overt campaigning for the Board of Directors is discouraged and official channels for communication of qualifications shall be used.
- Each candidate shall be entitled to have a statement not to exceed 150 words published on an insert in the ballot package. The candidate shall decide on the preferred use of this allowance, for such purposes as highlighting background and qualifications, experience and service to ALDA, aspirations for the position, or other relevant statements.
- Statements in excess of 150 words will be truncated after the 150th word without consultation.
- Negative statements about other candidates will not be published.
- The Chair of the Nominations Committee shall consult with the candidate on potentially offensive statements or statements which make dubious claims.
- No other editing will be provided.