Instructions for Participants: How to set up, Join, and Start a Google Meet
1- DEVICE TYPE – Instructions are broken down by device being used:
- Computers – users who have a Mac or PC, including ChromeBook
- Mobile – users who have iPads, iPhones, Android smartphones, tablets, etc.
2- SETUP GOOGLE ACCOUNT & “MEET” APP
- Computers – Simple setup. This will give you the best layout to view the captions as well as other meeting features.
to Join a meeting, no account and no app needed
to Start a meeting, Google account required, no app needed
- Mobile – Google account is required.
-Google “Meet” app required. Download app from list below:
3- HOW TO JOIN A VIDEO MEETING-
- Computers –
click link sent to you by host, or
From Gmail, click on left sidebar, click on “Join a meeting”
- Mobile – Click link in the email sent to you from the host
- See Other ways to Join a meeting
4- HOW TO SCHEDULE OR START YOUR OWN VIDEO MEETING – Anyone with a Google account (ie Gmail) can schedule or start their own Google Meet. See options below:
- Computers – From Gmail, in the left sidebar, click “Start a meeting” (see sample here)
- Mobile – click on the Google “Meet” app (app looks like this)
- See Other ways to start a video meeting:
5- CAPTIONING – Once you’re in the meeting:
- Computers – At the bottom of the Meet window, click Turn on captions or Turn off captions . You might have to click More first.
(Tip: If the captions are covered by your call controls, click anywhere else inside the Meet window to dismiss them.)
- Mobile – At the top of the Meet app, tap Turn on captions or Turn off captions . You might have to tap More first.
- Click here for more details on how to see Captions
- Important note: Google Meet provides captioning free of charge at the present time but this is subject to change.
4- HOW TO CHANGE VIEW & LAYOUT –
- Computers – In the lower-right corner of the Meet screen,
click More Change layout – changing to other layouts (ie tiled/grid)
- Mobile– automatic layout only. To maximize or enlarge the image, position the device sideways..
5- OTHER INFORMATION:
- Browser and Operating System – make sure they are both up to date
- Check your bandwidth: Visit Fast.com to check your connection speed. We recommend a minimum speed of 3.0 Mbps.
- Microphone and camera on device should both be on
- Audio and captioning performance depends on: proximity to microphone when speaking, muting your microphone if there’s a noisy background, quality of bluetooth device, and internet reception.
- To improve video, close tabs or other applications not needed during meeting
- Lighting – helps to have lighting source(s) directed towards your face; close shades of any windows behind you to avoid darkening your face
- Microsoft Internet Explorer is not supported by Google Meet. Use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari.
6- TROUBLESHOOTING & FAQ
- Important Note: Participants will be admitted 15 minutes prior to the meeting’s start. Please patiently wait and periodically refresh your browser as the start time gets closer.
- Verify the time zone in your meeting invite.
If you are in a different time zone, please adjust the time so you do not miss the meeting.
- My screen is frozen, or I’ve lost access to the meeting.
Refresh your browser window. May have to rejoin the meeting.
- I’m hearing an echo, or hearing everything twice, or the presenters’ voices are overlapping.
You probably have the event open in more than one browser window or tab. Close all windows and tabs other than the one you’re watching right now. Also make sure you have 1 device running. Turn off other devices you are not using (i.e. like your phone).
- I am experiencing a technical issue that does not appear in this list.
Try viewing the event using a different browser. For instance, if you are using Firefox, trying switching to Chrome, or vice versa.
- How do I change my viewing options in Google Meet?
Computer users – At the bottom right, click More A pop up menu will appear, Click
on “Change layout” . A second pop up menu will appear, showing you the viewing options, click the one based on your preference.
Mobile users’ viewing options are defaulted to automatic mode only.
- How do I change my background to blur?
Computer users only – At the bottom right of your screen, click More A pop up menu will appear, Click on “Turn on background blur”.
- How do I find the Chat button?
Computer users, locate the chat iconupper right corner of your screen and click it. A sidebar will pop up. Locate the messages line at bottom of the screen. Once you type messages into Chat, press enter.
Mobile users – At the bottom right of your screen, click A pop up menu will appear, Click on “In Call Messages”.
What is the “Present now” feature?
It is used typically used for presenters who want to share their entire screen or a specific window in a meeting. Information such as documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and more can be shared. As a participant do not click on this button unless advance permission from Host, the Tech-host or guest speaker is given.
7- RESOURCES: To learn more details about Google Meet check their website here.
8- DISCLAIMERS – Due to the frequent upgrades, certain instructions may be out date. Attempts to update changes will be made on an infrequent basis.